Thursday, January 03, 2008

Showing of 'Narrow Bridge' in Baltimore was a success! - From The Awareness Center

The following e-mail came from The Awareness Center:


Showing of 'Narrow Bridge' in Baltimore was a success!
Last night The Awareness Center had a showing of the film 'Narrow Bridge' in Baltimore. It was a packed house. There were over 100 people in the audience, all seats were taken and there were a few people in the back of the room standing.

Included in the audience was Rabbi Shlomo Porter, Phil Jacobs of the Baltimore Jewish Times, a reporter from the Owings Mills Times and JVibe. Below are some of the responses on the evaluation forms and e-mail's I received this morning.

Due to the fact we had many more people who wanted to attend last nights showing a second event is being planned for either the end of January or the beginning of February.

The Awareness Center wants to thank Izzy Moskovits, Joy Silberg, Mesa Leventhal Baker, Senator Jim Brochin, Bob Russell, Murray Levin and all of our volunteers for donating their time and energy to making last night possible.

We are also in the early stages of planning viewings of the film, with a panel discussion afterwards in Rockland NY, New York City, Long Island, NY, New Jersey, Connecticut and Los Angeles.

To be able to put these programs together we need your financial support. You can show us you care by sending a donation to:

The Awareness Center, Inc.
P.O. Box 65273
Baltimore, MD 21209

-- Well Done, showed the pain caused by sexual abuse, showed difficulty in disclosing and the secrecy. I felt like Daniel was telling my story.

-- The program was handled in a sensitive way -- very educational and inspiring

-- Please have more programs like this. I learned so much!

-- I thought I was too old to learn about something knew -- Thank you for teaching me about this problem in our community.

-- It's incredible that The Awareness Center put this together on a shoestring budget. I can't even begin to imagine the wonderful things you could do if you had more funding.

-- Everything was done well, very professional. The speakers were very diverse, discussing the issues from every angel.

-- This could have been a full day conference. It's amazing what I learned in less then 3 hours.

- - The film was powerful. I was overwhelmed with the reality. I wish the program was longer.

-- I can't believe that this film was produced with so little money. It was excellent. Israel Moskovits is so talented.

-- It was interesting to see 'Daniel's' Struggle with Judaism. It's the same struggle I have.

--
Tonight's program was excellent. Congratulations on putting together an educational and enlightening evening. I have not stopped thinking about what I learned. Thank you for being there and for all of your hard work. You are doing a real "Mitzvah."

-- It was SOOOOO wonderful, B'H!!!!!! You did such a terrific job - keeping things moving, the event was so organized, every minute was interesting!!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's scary that rabbi Porter is mentioned here. It makes it seem like he's a safe person. He's not. He's a part of the problem.

January 04, 2008 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came back from a screening of Narrow Bridge in Baltimore. What can I say?

It was pretty intense. We had about 115 people in attendance and the film was very well received. There was a panel discussion afterward featuring myself and a some experts on sexual abuse as well as several survivors.

It was powerful, and in many ways, I felt like an outsider, being there on the panel, and in a crowd which I could tell had many survivors of sexual abuse among it. Evaluation cards filled out at the end of the screening were almost universally positive.

The trip to and from Baltimore was a pain (2 flights each way), but it was worth it because I felt that there in that small room with that group of people, we were making a difference. The film was finally "doing something".

There was a lot of emotion in the room, I felt it in the room both during the screening and during the panel discussion. We were touching some very delicate nerves with people on both sides of the issue.

I learned a lot from hearing the stories of survivors and listening to the experts speak, as well as Maryland Senator Jim Brochin, who has sponsored many bills on behalf of survivors. It gave me a real sense of the bravery that both survivors and advocates need to possess and made me thankful that I was able to take part.

January 05, 2008 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home