Friday, August 17, 2007

Does EMDR Help Survivors of Sexual Trauma?

http://www.psicotrauma.it/images/emdr.jpg
Over the years many individuals have been using something called EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) with survivors to help combat flashbacks. I personally think it's a waste of time and money. The process was created by Francine Shapiro.

According to a few web pages the EMDR process is supposed to produce rapid eye movements in a client while a traumatic memory is recalled and processed. This technique allegedly lessens the amount of therapeutic time needed to process and resolve traumatic memories. Again I think it's a waste of time. There's no quick fixes when it comes to healing.

I think if a survivor of sexual abuse /sexual assault wants to find real help that the best solution is finding a good psychotherapist who has at least a master's degree in a counseling field and also has extensive post graduate training working with sexual trauma.

For most survivors I know have said that what has helped them the most has been a combination of talk therapy, music, dance and art therapy. I also think that finding someone who does body work is a good idea once a survivor has dealt with a great deal of their issues. It helps to connect one self back to their bodies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had someone do EMDR on me. I was desperate to try anything. It really creeped me out. I found the process triggering. I don't trust anything that resembles hypnosis.

August 18, 2007 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home