Monday, July 24, 2006

Vicki Polin Speaks at the 2006 SNAP Conference


From: Vicki Polin at The Awareness Center


I spoke at the
SNAP conference yesterday (Sunday, July 23, 2006) that was held in Jersey City, NJ. There were around 200 people present.

I basically spoke about the fact that sexual abuse has absolutely nothing to do with religion and that it's all about power and control. I let them know about some unscientific statistics compiled by one of The Awareness Center's volunteers, who compared the number of Catholics in the US to the number of cases of clergy abuse in Catholic community, to the number of Jews in the US to the number of cases of clergy abuse we have. The statistics came out almost exactly the same.

During my presentation I kept repeating the phrase that "pedophillia has NO religion," and that it "takes a village to raise a sex offender." Another words we are all responsible for their actions and that we all NEED to be mandated to report when we SUSPECT a child is being abused and or neglected.

I was totally shocked when my presentation was over. Just about everyone in the room stood up and applaud.

Can you imagine if I gave that same presentation at a yeshiva or in any Torah observant community? How many conference participants would have stayed in the workshop, let alone clap?

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!

July 25, 2006 7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl friend!

July 25, 2006 7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vicki,
Thank you for all the work you do. You give me courage!

July 25, 2006 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If pervese people use religion to hide behind, it is up to all of us to unmask them!

Thank you Vicki for what you are doing

July 25, 2006 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took many years for people to stand up and clap for Catholics too... so maybe there's hope in the Jewish communities as well..

July 25, 2006 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Vicki!

No yeshiva deserves your presence. They love dumb and obedient, you don't fit that mold thank God.

July 25, 2006 8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW!

July 25, 2006 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some rabbinic leaders are ignorant and some are arogant. Either way, they wont listen.

It seems like all they know how to do is ridicule and condemn.

From my life experiences I hate to say that I think our observant community systems are beyond repair.

The sincere torah jew will survive only if he chooses to live under a rock, without the influences and hypocrisy of the so-called organized orthodox communities and the negative influence of incompetent and corrupt rabbis.

July 25, 2006 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could guarantee that if anyone gave a presentation like that in a religious Jewish community, they would be excommunicated!

July 25, 2006 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vicki if you read this I just wanted to let you know how proud I am of you!

July 25, 2006 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you vicki! You have made such a huge positive difference in so many lives! Don't give up on the frum community, we need you!

July 25, 2006 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Vicki, on the great response to your speech. You more than deserved that standing ovation!

July 25, 2006 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vicky thank you for making a difference.

Sometimes I'm sad I am jewish.
I dont feel proud to be part of this nation.

I feel like I need to run away.
To find someone who would believe me.

I listened to the Rabbi's I didnt tell but how has that served me.

How did that protect others?

I'm tired tired tired of "it can't happen here"

I can't heal like this. Especially knowing other kids are being hurt.

Help!

August 03, 2006 1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home