Monday, February 27, 2006

Location for Jewish Self-Help Groups/Networks Needed

The image “http://www.theawarenesscenter.org/WhoWasAbused.jpeg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

There's a group of us who have organized and want to start (in person) self-help/networking groups for Jewish Survivors of Sexual Abuse and Assault (for both men and women) in every community around the country (and around the world).

We are desperate to find a location to hold these groups. There are so many survivors who are interested in attending.

Originally our goal was to hold the meetings in local synagogues as a way to help survivors over come their fears, and also to help turn a synagogue into a safe place for them.

Several of us have gone to other self-help groups over the years, yet felt uncomfortable attending because they were often held in churches.

As of today every rabbi we have approached has turned us down.

It's very sad that several churches around the country have heard of our plight and offered us space, and also funding to do the necessary training to leaders. We are really trying to hold off so that we can find Jewish locations and funding.

If you know of a location, please let us know. We really do NOT want to hold meetings in JCC's for various political reasons.

Please contact me at jewishsurvivors at yahoo dot com, and I will pass your contact information on to the individuals organizing the networks.

We are also looking for funding so that we can train survivors to lead the Jewish Survivors Self-help/Network groups.

Remember:
  • if you have a group of 10 women, 3 will most likely be survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
  • if you have a group of 10 men, 2 will also most likely be survivors.
  • every 2 1/2 minutes someone in the US is sexually assaulted (both men and women).

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've asked my rabbi if I could use a room in my shul for a self-help group too. His answer to me was no. I was really shocked since the shul offers a room for AA and OA meetings.

Is helping survivors of childhood sexual abuse too political or taboo?

February 27, 2006 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I called my rabbi and asked if I could organize a group too. He said he would have to get approval from the board.

He also warned me the odds were that it would not allow it, unless there was the understanding that names of offenders could never be mentioned. He wanted to make sure there was no lashon hara.

I got so angry that he said that I had to leave his office. I don't know how to educate him. I was so shocked that he would say that.

February 27, 2006 11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post did not indicate where you wnated to hold this meeting. New York? California? Florida? Kansas?

February 27, 2006 3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I attended a support group run by Catholic Charities. It was non denominational and in a Catholic Charities facility rather than a church. It was very helpful and I am very grateful to Catholic Charities for providing this service.

February 27, 2006 7:51 PM  
Blogger Vicki Polin said...

We want to have self-help groups in every city around the country, throughout Israel, and where ever there is a Jewish community.

The first step is to secure funding so there can be training to learn the basics in how to run a self-help group.

February 28, 2006 8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asking for help from a Rabbi to have a place to meet and not reveal the perpertrator is an admission of guilt from the Rabbi in my opinion that he to was involved in shady behavior.It's no wonder people are leaving the Jewish faith in droves.

August 07, 2007 4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home