Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Survivors of Suicide


I was reading over some of the comments posted to: "Call To Action: In Honor of the Memory of Daniel Levin".

I thought it was important for us to discuss the problem of survivors of childhood sexual abuse and rape attempting and committing suicide. Below is the discussion that already started:

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to the Levin family. If they read this I want them to know that they are not alone. I also had a child who died in a similar way. My daughter had a difficult time after she disclosed that a teacher at her school molested her. She was one of three students molested.

Many of her classmates made fun of her after they learned of her abuse. It was to much for her to handle. I just wish that twenty years ago we had the resources available that are around today. My daughter would have been 33 today.

October 09, 2005 8:53 AM


Anonymous said...

I had a very dear friend named Candy, who committed suicide back in May, 1988.

Candy was in therapy with someone who I didn't like or trust. A few years after Candy's death I learned that the therapist lost his license to practice due to allegations of professional sexual misconduct. My dear friend Candy was the mother of three beautiful daughters, who grew up without a mother. Something has to be done to stop this sort of madness of professional sexual misconduct. We have lost too many beautiful people due to our communities turning their backs on those who need us the most.

Thank you so much for having this blog.

October 09, 2005 9:05 AM


Anonymous said...

My best friend was severely abused as a child. When she was 29 she lost her life to suicide. I always felt that her family murdered her. When you stop and think about it they did. If they would have been normal she would be here today with us.

I also know the pain that the Levin family must be going through. I know when the anniversary of my friends death comes up how painful it is for me. She's been gone for 14 years.

Some thing needs to be done with people like Rabbi Bryks. I know he will have to face HaShem in the world to come, but he needs to face what he's done in this world too.

October 11, 2005 7:43 AM


Anonymous said...

I had a great aunt who committed suicide after she learned her husband was molesting her niece.

It was to much for her to handle.

I later learned that my great aunt was also a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. I can't even begin to imagine the horror she felt in learning that she married someone like her own offender.

October 11, 2005 10:38 AM


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. It is a very important problem, that no one wants to talk about.

When I was in my early stages of healing, I tried to kill myself. I didn't know what else to do. I felt so alone in the world, very different then everyone else. I had no idea how many other people were survivors.

I hate to say it, but because I attempted to kill myself, I ended up in a hospital. Because of that I finally got the help I needed. I finally took the blame off of myself, and put it on the person who raped me. I am an incest survivor. I am no longer afriad to tell people.

Healing is not easy, and it's a life time event. I used to hate myself, and now I don't. I now know that I am a good person.

October 11, 2005 12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home