Tuesday, May 03, 2005

When your therapist goes on vacation or is absent

The following comes from one of our readers.

I feel silly writing about this, yet it's been a battle for me. I don't want to be so dependent on my therapist that it makes a difference. I have panic whenever my therapist goes on vacation, or has taken a leave of absence for medical reasons.

I don't know what to do with myself when they are away. I feel like my life comes down all around me when they are not available to me.

Is this OK? Does it happen to other survivors? Does this mean that the relationship I have with them is bad? One of my friend says the same thing happens to her when her rabbi goes away. Can someone explain why this happens?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had two therapist that I felt like this about. The first one was my very first therapist. He was finishing up his doctorate, and when he would take time off, I would get suicidal. I felt as if I couldn't live without him. I don't know how mentally stable I was back then. My therapist was the first person I ever trusted, and I saw him as the only safe person in the world. It was kind of like, out of sight out of mind. He didn't exsist unless I knew where he was.

The other therapist I felt like this I now realize how unhealthy of a relationship I had with him. I think it's great to be attached to a therapist, but your whole world should not evolve around what they do or do not do. I think that's the lesson I learned from it all.

May 03, 2005 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have difficulties when my therapist goes away on vacation.

May 03, 2005 8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 03, 2005 9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 03, 2005 9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 03, 2005 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I have had various periods in my therapy when I experienced those times of panic as well, either from cancelled or missed appt. or their vacations, etc.

May 04, 2005 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 04, 2005 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 04, 2005 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home