Friday, March 04, 2005

Finding A Rabbi: Tips for Survivors of Sexual Violence (Incest, Sexual Abuse, Sexual Assault, Rape) By © (2005) By Vicki Polin, MA, LCPC and Michael

I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the article Vicki Polin and Michael Salamon wrote:

Finding A Rabbi: Tips for Survivors of Sexual Violence
(Incest, Sexual Abuse, Sexual Assault, Rape)

Just curious if anyone here has looked for a rabbi to understand what happened to them? If you did what was it like? Did you find support? Do you feel doors slam in your face?

If you were going to write a list like The Awareness Center did, what things would you add or change?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I was given this a few years ago. I think it would have prevented a lot of problems I had when I was looking for a rabbi. For some reason I always thought that rabbis would understand and be helpful. I saw them as being close to God and figured they would understand why various things happened in my life.

Instead 2 that I went to blamed me, and one said I was lying. He told me he knew my family and that they were "Righteous people."

I don 't think I would ask every question, but at least it gave me some ideas of things I should consider if I ever need to find another rabbi.

March 04, 2005 8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting that here, many of those things it would never have occurred to me to ask, before.

March 04, 2005 1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was googling for hours one day. And didnt find something this comprehensive. Thank you very much..

March 06, 2005 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are there any good Rabbis one can email? I am too nervous and embarrashed to tell my story face to face.

March 06, 2005 2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not email rabbi blau? He's been so helpful to me.

March 06, 2005 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home