Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Is it ever to late to try to connect with God?

So many survivors of childhood sexual abuse/assault have difficulties trusting. They want to trust but either don't know how, or are afraid to just let go and trust. The same can be said about those who were violated as adults, but at least when the abuse comes from outside the home there's a chance that the survivor will have a positive role model of who and what God is.

Usually one of the stages of healing a survivor of childhood sexual abuse goes through involves trying to find a way to explore their own spirituality. As we all know the major problem has been survivors have difficulties finding someone that feels safe enough to open up with, and share a side of them that feels extremely vulnerable.

But what happens if this person they find and trust violates that trust? Will the survivor ever feel safe enough again to try to find someone else? Will anyone believe the survivor if they tell anyone that they have been revictimized?

Years pass and they still feel alone and terrified to share. Does there ever come a point that someone is too old to make the connection?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi---
Is there any way I can submit to you a short article with specific info for help for survivors of a particular rabbi? i.e., such as send it to you via Vicki Polin or Luke Ford?
Thanks.

February 03, 2005 7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it's ever to late to explore and find a healthy relationship with God. It's the how to do it that eludes me. I'm a 36 year old survivor who is exploring her spirituality for the first time in almost 20 years. The trigger for me has been the birth of my two children, now 1 and 2. I want to raise them with a healthy sense of spirit and universal belonging. Yet, I'm at a loss, since I've never known the belonging I hope to help them find. Lately, I've been searching, calling out to God, going to services, even asking a mentor directly for help. What I found is what I've always been able to hold, the beauty in a snow storm, the wonder in my kids eyes, the passive ways I can observe a gentle, light, even playful God at work. I confess I want more... I want to feel held, heard, understood, embraced... and like I belong. So no, it's never too late, but the how, for me, is elusive.

December 27, 2009 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home